Sunday, September 26, 2010

Persistent Widow Story Pt 2

Now where were we? Oh yes, I was leaving the OBs office with script in hand, but disappointed that I had not known the lab's hours before and planning accordingly. 

The next day, Friday, I left work early again in order to make it to the lab before 4. And again got stuck in traffic and was cutting it very close and kicking myself for not leaving earlier. It was 3:57 when I pulled up and ran to the door. Which was locked. NOOO!!! I know it was before 4! My phone, the car and the radio had just confirmed the time, so I started banging on the door.

I knocked for 3 or 4 minutes and then heard some voices inside saying something like "who's crazy enough to be knocking this late?" That just made me knock even more, since they just confirmed they were in there. 

Finally, one lady came to the door to tell me they closed at 4. Here we go again! "I know you close at 4, but I was here before then and the door was already locked." "Our clock said it was 4, and we always close on time." "But I was here before 4 and I've been banging on the door for several minutes, the least you could have done is come out and let me know why you closed early."

And on we went, yelling at each other. Yes, I was yelling at two strangers who I was hoping would stick me with a needle. Maybe not the best strategy.

The ladies started telling me that one of them had a kid in the hospital and she had to get out of work on time to go see him, and the other lady had been late to get her kid from daycare so many times she owed them hundreds of dollars, which she didn't have because this job didn't pay very much. So of course, I felt really bad, because now it's like 4:15 and they're going to be even later.

I finally relent, "I'm sorry, it's just that we've been trying to get pregnant for 3 and a half years and we finally got a positive pregnancy test and now we just have to get this blood test so we can get the whole process started, and I had to leave work early and got stuck in traffic, but I don't want you to be any later, so I'll just go to the lab that's open tomorrow morning."

Something of that hit them the right way, and the argument changed. They were like "No! You don't want to go to the lab tomorrow, you have to get there like 2 hours early and the line is around the block and it's not in a good neighborhood, we'll go ahead and take you here." And I was like, "No! I don't want you to be late picking up your kids and I've been standing here like a jerk yelling at you and I'm already not going to get the results until next week, so I can wait another day." And on we went.

As you probably guessed, I relented again and came in and let them take my blood. At this point we're all being sweet to each other, but I said an extra prayer that they wouldn't spit in my sample before sending it off!

We got the results on Monday (positive of course), so it all had a happy ending. I learned that persistence pays off, that and playing the "we've been trying for 3 1/2 years" card! I hope this child will always know that even though Momma is a little crazy and probably always running late, I'm as stubborn as they come and that's partly why he or she is even here!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...