Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Birthday Love

Last year on this day, I told you about how I tried to stop celebrating my birthday several years ago. It was an unsuccessful attempt, because apparently birthdays are an unstoppable force that only Jehovah's Witnesses can escape (but I'm not willing to go quite that far!).

I don't have anything against birthdays in general, I just didn't want mine to be a big deal anymore. Facebook telling everyone that it's my birthday doesn't really help with that, but I've come to accept it.

This is my 33rd birthday, which means I'm starting my 34th year. That seems like a lot, between a half to a third of my life already, depending on how the journey goes. Of course I still feel like I have so much to learn and grow in, but there are some things I have come to appreciate about aging.

1) Credibility. I think, as a general rule, people take you more seriously when you're in your 30s than when you're in your 20s.

2) Comfort. I'm far more comfortable in my own skin than I've ever been in my life. That is, with the exception of the discomfort of a stretching mid-section, but I'll take the cause for that (right now) any day! Sure, I still fight off insecurities, but I know more about what is important in life - what actually lasts - to worry about trying to be someone I'm not.

3) Compassion. For some people this is a gift that comes naturally. For me, it's something that I've grown more in as I've seen and experienced more of the world. I think it comes hand in hand with what I said above; as we grow more secure in our place in life, we can allow ourselves to think more about others.

I can think of many more things that start with C and other letters, too, but the main one on my mind is Cake, as in the one my amazing, wonderful husband baked for me (first time ever for him!) and is waiting upstairs.



What do you think are some gifts that come along with aging?

3 comments:

  1. I SO agree with you on the "Compassion" one. The older I get and the challenges that I face make my heart for people swell and the "GRACE" that the Father has given to me I just REALLY WANT to extend to other people....

    Glad you were celebrated for your birthday even if you didn't "exactly" want it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Character is something we get more of as we age....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm two days late, but Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great one!

    I totally agree with your list. As much as I resisted entering my 30s (a few years ago), I'm beginning to realize that I'm much more comfortable with who I am now than I was ten years ago. I've learned a lot and lived through a lot since then, and I'm sure there's much more to come (hopefully mostly good!) that I'll be better equipped to handle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...