Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Musings on a Sunday Night

Several years ago, back when I was in college, I started to notice a trend in Proverbs, then saw it all over the Scriptures, particularly the Old Testament. I thought maybe someday I would write a book about communication according to the Bible. As a communicator by trade, I've noticed messengers and messages get special notice and it might make an interesting study to see what God says about our profession.


Here's one passage I've been chewing on lately.
Isaiah 52:7-8 (emphasis mine)


7 How beautiful upon the mountains
      Are the feet of him who brings good news,
      Who proclaims peace,
      Who brings glad tidings of good things,
      Who proclaims salvation,
      Who says to Zion,
      “ Your God reigns!”
       8 Your watchmen shall lift up their voices,
      With their voices they shall sing together;
      For they shall see eye to eye
      When the LORD brings back Zion. 



I have alot of opinions (gee, you think?) and am usually not at a loss for words on any given occasion. And I may have some nice or interesting things to say here on this blog or in any public setting, which may help someone or brighten their day or just give them a little mental break from whatever they were doing. And those are good things.


But when I read verse 7, my communicator's heart starts jumping up and down saying "I want beautiful feet!" I want to bring good news, proclaim peace, bring glad tidings of good things (God knows there's enough bad news or bad reports of bad things!). I want to remind the people of God who they are, and that God is present in their lives and is on the throne. 


Then verse 8 speaks to the heart of worship in me. Tonight we had vocal practice for our worship team and the sound of our voices blending together in harmonies was so sweet. You hear the expression "singing from the same sheet of music," alot. Maybe too much. But maybe it's used so much because it's one of the most powerful examples of unity and togetherness. Here in steps that unwrap backwards, the prophet says that restoration has to take place before we can see eye to eye, and only after that we can lift up our voices and sing together. 


I think this has powerful implications for communicating in an organization, whether there's a spiritual setting or not. Perhaps communication (from an organizational and personal standpoint) is often so frustrating because we are trying to sing together, but haven't been restored. 


Just some stuff I'm thinking about. Thanks for listening.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...