Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A first for me

Yesterday, I found out I got my first job ever from a resume. (Yay!) All my other employment has been from applications or just knowing someone.

The job is as an instructor at the Defense Information School (DINFOS) in Ft. Meade, MD in their Reserve Instructor Program. DINFOS is where all the public affairs people from all the uniformed services go to learn how to be public affairs people. They offer the officer course online to Reservists and civil servants, then they have a two-week resident course to finish it up. I will be an instructor primarily for that course. 

It's still a Reserve job, so they'll basically have me on a roster of people to call when they have a course they need an instructor for, and I can decide if I want to/can do it or not. I'll still be assigned to Andrews AFB and able to go work there if they have money to pay me.

One of the things I'm most excited about is the Instructor Training Course I get to take. It starts Tuesday, Sept 1, so I'm scrambling to get ready for it, and is three weeks long. In this course, I should learn how to teach adults, which is awesome, because that's what I want to do! I've known I want to be a teacher for a long time, but just not the what, who and when of it. Now, I can teach others the only real job I've ever had (Public Affairs), still serve my country and develop my classroom skills for when I'm a professor.

Just wanted to share the good news with you. This is one of those life developments I hinted at in the first blog of the month. I have at least one more big development to share, but you'll have to wait a few more days for it!

2 comments:

  1. yay! congrats! Can't wait for the other news....I wish it was that you were moving to California, but in the light of this announcement, I'm guessing that isn't so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. kudos, friend! i imagine you are an incredible teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...